This user note covers all the models for KQ300T-D
The KQ300T-D is a fully automatic, free-standing sputter coater ideally suited for thin film applications and for conductive coating of scanning electron microscopy (SEM) specimens.
At the operational heart of the KQ300T-D is a large chamber fitted with two independent sputtering heads. This dual-head configuration allows two different metals to be sequentially sputtered without the need to 'break' vacuum. A dual channel film thickness monitor option is available.
The system is designed to sputter a wide range of oxidising metals, eg chromium (Cr) and aluminium (Al), and non-oxidising (noble) metals, eg gold (Au) and platinum (Pt).
The KQ300T-D sputter coater has a 300mm x 127mm work chamber and a specimen stage that accepts substrates of 2-4" wafer sizes as standard and 6" wafers with an optional stage accessory. An optional extended height glass chamber is available to enable coating of larger specimens.
- Fully automatic touch screen control - rapid data input, simple operation
- Customer-defined coating protocols
- Dual sputter head - for sequential sputtering of two different metals, ideal for many thin film applications
- A wide range of oxidising and non-oxidising targets are available
- Fine grain sputtering - for advanced high resolution FE-SEM applications
- Large chamber format
- Coat logging - details of the last 100 coatings available on screen
- Optional dual channel film thickness monitor (FTM) module
- High-vacuum turbo pumping
- Automatic vacuum control - can be pre-programmed to suit the process and material, no needle valve to adjust
- Vacuum shut-down feature - leaves the process chamber under vacuum when not in use - improved vacuum performance
- Thick film capabilities - up to 60 minutes sputtering time without breaking vacuum
- Ergonomic one-piece moulded case - easy maintenance and service access
- Ethernet with local FTP server connection - simple programmer updates
- Power factor correction - complies with the current legislation (CE Certification) - efficient use of power means reduced running costs
- Three-year warranty
Ideal for sputter coating large specimens, thin film applications and SEM/FE-SEM
The KQ300T-D is suitable for sputtering a range of oxidising and non-oxidising (noble) metals for scanning electron microscopy (SEM) and thin film applications. The range of target materials available is extensive - see Ordering Information. The
KQ300T-D comes as standard with a chromium (Cr) target and gold (Au) target.
High-vacuum turbomolecular pumping
The KQ300T-D is fitted with an internally mounted 70L/s turbomolecular pump, backed by a 50L/m two-stage rotary pump (order separately). A Pirani vacuum measurement gauge (range: 1,000mbar to 5x10-4mbar) is included, but a full range gauge (1,000mbar to 5x10-9mbar) is available as an option. Typical ultimate vacuum of around 5x10-5mbar can be expected in a clean system after pre-pumping with dry nitrogen gas.
Dual head sputtering - for sequential sputtering
The KQ300T-D is fitted with two independent sputtering heads to allow sequential sputtering of two different metals without the need to 'break' vacuum, for example, a thin 'seeding' layer of chromium (Cr) followed by deposition of gold (Au). An automatic shutter mechanism is fitted to enable cleaning of oxidising sputter targets and to protect the second target and substrate during coatings. For single metal applications, one target can be selected.
The KQ300T-D is fitted with a flat rotating specimen stage capable of accepting wafers up to 4"/100mm in diameter. The rotation speed is variable between preset limits and the stage to sputtering head distance can be adjusted between 25-71mm. A range of optional specimen stages can be fitted - see Options and Accessories.
Moulded case with colour touch screen
The KQ300T-D is presented in a custom moulded, one-piece case, allowing easy servicing access. The colour touch screen allows multiple users to input and store coating 'recipes'. The case houses all the working components and includes an automatic bleed control that ensures optimum vacuum conditions during sputtering.
The vacuum chamber has an internal diameter of 283mm/12" and comes with an integral implosion guard. The KQ300T-D can also be fitted with optional 'vacuum shutdown', which enhances vacuum performance by allowing the chamber vacuum to be maintained when the system is not in use.
Rapid data entry
At the operational heart of the KQ300T-D is a simple colour touch screen, which allows even the most inexperienced or occasional operator to rapidly enter and store their own process data. To further aid ease of use a number of typical sputter coating profiles are already stored. For added convenience, summaries of the last 100 coatings carried out can be viewed.
The intuitive touch screen interface features maintenance prompts that highlight:
- Time of last clean
- Coating time since last cleaned
- System 'on time'
- Time of last service.
|Options and Accessories (including details of standard specimen stage)|
Specimen stages:The KQ300T-D has specimen stages to meet most requirements. All are easy-change, drop-in style (no screws) and are height adjustable (except rotary planetary stage). Rotation speed is variable between 14-38 RPM:
* Flat rotation stage for 4"/100mm wafers - fitted as standard
* Flat rotation stage for 6"/150mm wafers
* Rotation stage - 50mm ?. This stage only rotates - no tilt or height adjustment
* Rotate-tilt stage - 50mm ? with height adjustment (target to stage height variable between 30-80mm). The tilt angle can be pre-set (horizontal to 30°)
* Rotation stage for glass microscope slides.
Other options:* Extended height chamber for taller specimens
* Dual channel film thickness monitor (FTM). The optional FTM attachment (10779) consists of a controller and quartz crystal oscillator built into the KQ300T-D and a vacuum feed-through, two chamber-mounted crystal holders and quartz crystals. As sputtered material is deposited onto the crystal, its frequency of oscillation is modified. This 'modification' is used to measure and control the thickness of material deposited.
For information on the KQ150T, and the sputter and carbon coating techniques, visit the Preparation Techniques and Advantages page.
To view sputter and carbon coating images, visit the Image Gallery.