The KQ150GB is single platform for sputtering and carbon rod evaporation. Metal evaporation using filament or boat sources is possible using an optional insert.
Depending upon user preference, the KQ150GB can be a top-of-the-range sputter coater for high resolution scanning electron microscopy (SEM), or a high vacuum carbon coater suitable for SEM and transmission electron microscopy (TEM). The flexibility of the system can be further expanded using a range of optional accessories.
The KQ150GB can rapidly sputter a wide selection of oxidising and non-oxidising metals making it ideal for many thin film applications.
The KQ150GB has an integral turbomolecular pump and additionally requires a suitable rotary pump or dry pump to "back" the turbomolecular pump (see Option and Accessories).
Flexible modular design
A modular design enables the vacuum chamber to be mounted through the base of the glove box or - when modification to the glove box floor is not possible - inside the glove box (optional feedthroughs are required).
A separate power supply housed in a rugged case is designed to be floor mounted and can be positioned conveniently beneath the glove box or bench. The touch screen user interface is housed in a robust stainless steel case and can be positioned outside of the glove box environment, if preferred.
Options for glove box mounting:
Vacuum module mounted in the floor of the glove box
A cut-out is made in the floor of the glove box and the vacuum chamber fitted and sealed with the gasket supplied. External connections from the floor mounted power supply, vacuum pump and argon gas can then be made directly to the chamber.
Vacuum module placed inside the glove box
The chamber assembly is placed inside the glove box and the power supply, vacuum pump and argon gas connections are made through two KF40 feedthroughs in the rear of the glove box.
Note: each KQ150GB is supplied with an accessory/configuration kit to suit either internally or externally mounted vacuum chambers. Additional kits can be designed on a case-by-case basis to allow the system to be adapted to various manufacturers' glove boxes. Please contact Quorum for more details.
Touch screen user interface
Enclosed in a stainless steel case and mounted at a convenient position outside the glove box, the touch screen allows multiple users to input and store coating protocols.
Vacuum module - including "vacuum shutdown" and glove box pressure interlock
The vacuum module houses all the working components, including the efficient 70L/s air-cooled turbomolecular pump. An automatic bleed control ensures optimum vacuum conditions during sputtering and a full range active gauge is fitted as standard to monitor the vacuum.
The KQ150GB includes "vacuum shutdown", a convenient feature which enhances vacuum performance by allowing the chamber vacuum to be maintained when the coater is not in use.
A unique feature of the KQ150GB is the integral pressure interlock switch. This independently monitors the pressure inside the glove box and shuts off the vacuum pump if the glove box atmosphere is unacceptably reduced due to a vacuum leak.
The vacuum chamber is 214mm high to allow for increased source to substrate distances required for coating large specimens. It has an external diameter of 165mm and comes with an integral implosion guard. The chamber assembly is easily removed to allow specimen exchange and chamber cleaning.
A variable speed rotary specimen stage is fitted as standard, with full height adjustment from 0 to 190mm above the base plate; other stages are available as options.
Sputter coating and carbon coating as standard, plus an option for metal evaporation
"Intelligent" Quick-change deposition inserts
The deposition inserts can be swapped in seconds and the intelligent system logic automatically recognises which insert is in place and displays the appropriate operating settings.
High resolution sputter coating
The KQ150GB features a high-resolution sputter coater insert (10034) for oxidising and non-oxidising (noble) metals. A wide selection of sputtering targets is available, including iridium and chromium, which are highly recommended for FE-SEM applications. Please see Options and Accessories for details of available metal targets.
Carbon rod evaporation
The high vacuum carbon rod coating insert (10033) is ideal for the production of highly stable carbon films and surface replicas for transmission electron microscopy (TEM). The system uses economical 3.05mm diameter carbon rods and the advanced "anti-stick" carbon rod evaporation gun offers simple operation and reproducible results.
A carbon fibre evaporation insert (10455) is available as an option (see Options and Accessories).
Metal evaporation/aperture cleaning option
A quick change insert (10457) allows metal evaporation from tungsten baskets or molybedenum boats - ideal for thin film applications. For ease of set up in a glove box, the metal charge can be loaded into the evaporation source away from the vacuum chamber.
Each of the above configurations can be used with a range of optional accessories. See options and Accessories for details.
Rapid data entry
At the operational heart of KQ150GB is a simple colour touch screen, which allows even the most inexperienced or occasional operators to rapidly enter and store their own process data. To further aid ease of use a number of typical sputtering and evaporation profiles are provided.
|Options and Accessories|| |
Coating inserts including with the Q150GBA range of interchangeable, plug-in style coating head inserts are available:
* Sputtering head insert (10034) is suitable for oxidising and non-oxidising metals. Supplied with a 54mm Ø x 0.3mm thick chromium target (TK8845) as standard. For additional targets see "Ordering Information" section.
Note: changing sputtering targets is easy, but additional sputter head inserts can be purchase for even quicker coating material change - see 10453 option
* Carbon rod evaporation head insert and accessories for 3.05mm Ø rods (100879)
Optional coating inserts* Carbon rod evaporation head insert for 6.15mm Ø rods (10456). Note that Quorum recommends 3.05mm Ø rods as they offer greater process control and are more economical (less wastage)
* Carbon fibre evaporation head insert (10455)
* Metal evaporation and aperture cleaning head insert (10457), using tungsten wire baskets and molybdenum boats. Includes electrode extensions to allow upwards evaporation, if required. Note: when the electrodes are fitted some stage options cannot be used
Specimen stagesThe Q150GB has specimen stages to meet most requirements. All are easy-change, drop-in style (no screws) and are height adjustable (except for the rotary planetary stage):
* 10067 rotation stage, 50mm Ø (supplied as standard). This stage only rotates - no tilt or height adjustment.
* 10360 rotate-tilt stage, 50mm Ø with height adjustment (target to stage height variable between 37mm and 60mm). The tilt angle can be pre-set.
* 10357 variable angle 'Rota-Cota' rotary planetary specimen stage with 50mm Ø specimen platform with six stub positions for 15mm or 6.5mm or 1/8" pin stubs.
* 10458 flat rotation stage for 4"/100mm wafers. Includes gear box which needs to be fitted when the optional FTM is being used or for coating over the full area of the stage.
* 10358 rotation stage for glass microscope slides. Allows two 75 x 25mm slides to be coated.
Note: all rotation stages have rotation speeds that can be variable between 8 and 20 rpm.
Other options, including FTM and glow discharge* 10429 extended height chamber (87mm higher than the standard stage) For tall specimens.
* 10454 Film Thickness Monitor (FTM). Consists of a controller and quartz crystal oscillator built into the Q150GB and a vacuum feed though, chamber mounted crystal holder and quartz crystal. As sputtered or evaporated material is deposited onto the crystal, so its frequency of oscillation is modified. This 'modification' is used to measure and control the thickness of material deposited.
* 10837 glow discharge insert. Used to modify surface properties (eg hydrophobic to hydrophilic conversion).
|Ordering Information|| |