This user note covers all the models for KQ150T
The KQ150T is a compact turbomolecular-pumped coating system suitable for SEM, TEM and many thin-film applications. The KQ150T replaces previous models K575X and K950X.
The KQ150T is available in three formats:
- KQ150T S - a high resolution sputter coater, suitable for oxidising and non-oxidising
- KQ150T E - a high vacuum carbon coater for SEM and TEM applications
- KQ150T ES - a high resolution sputter coater and high vacuum carbon evaporator
- Glow discharge option for modification of specimen surface properties (eg hydrophobic to hydrophilic conversion)
- Metal sputtering or carbon evaporation - or both - in one space saving design
- Fine grain sputtering - for advanced high resolution FESEM applications
- High vacuum turbo pumping - allows sputtering of a wide range of oxidising and nonoxidising metals - suitable for SEM, high resolution FESEM and also for many thin film applications
- High vacuum carbon coating - ideal for SEM and TEM carbon coating applications
- Advanced "anti-stick" design carbon rod evaporation gun - simple operation, reproducible results
- Control of evaporation current profile - ensures consistently reproducible carbon films
- Precise thickness control using the film thickness monitor option
- Fully automatic touch screen control - rapid data input, simple operation
- Multiple, customer defined coating schedules can be stored - ideal for multi-user laboratories
- Automatic vacuum control, which can be pre-programmed to suit the process and material - no needle valve to adjust
- "Intelligent" recognition system - automatically detects the type of coating insert fitted
- Easy-to-change, drop-in style specimen stages (rotation stage as standard)
- Vacuum shutdown feature - leaves the process chamber under vacuum when not in use - improved vacuum performance
- Thick film capabilities - up to 60 minutes sputtering time without breaking vacuum
- Ergonomic one piece moulded case - easy maintenance and service access
- Ethernet with local FTP server connection - simple programmer updates
- Power factor correction - complies with current legislation (CE Certification) - efficient use of power means reduced running costs
- Three-year warranty
Ideal for SEM, high resolution FESEM and TEM applications
KQ150T is available in three formats: sputtering, carbon evaporation or both. Depending upon the selected configuration, the KQ150T can be a top-of-the-range sputter coater for high resolution scanning electron microscopy (SEM), a carbon coater suitable for SEM and transmission electron microscopy (TEM), or both, in a single easy to use system.
The ability of the KQ150T to rapidly sputter a wide selection of oxidising and non-oxidising metals also makes it an ideal platform for many thin film applications.
Moulded case with colour touch-screen
The KQ150T is presented in a custom moulded, one-piece case. The colour touch screen allows multiple users to input and store coating protocols. The case houses all the working components, including the efficient 70L/s air-cooled turbomolecular pump. Automatic bleed control ensures optimum vacuum conditions during sputtering.
The vacuum chamber has an external diameter of 165mm (6.5") and comes with an integral implosion guard. The KQ150T includes "vacuum shutdown" which enhances vacuum performance by allowing the chamber vacuum to be maintained when the system is not in use. A variable speed rotary specimen stage is fitted as standard, with other stages available as options.
Sputter coating, carbon coating or both
The KQ150T is available in three formats, each with a range of optional accessories:
- KQ150T S - a high resolution sputter coater for oxidising and non-oxidising (noble) metals. A wide selection of sputtering targets is available, including iridium and chromium, which are highly recommended for FESEM applications.
- KQ150T E - a high vacuum carbon coater, ideal for the production of highly stable carbon films and surface replicas for transmission electron microscopy (TEM). The system uses economical 3.05mm diameter carbon rods.
- KQ150T ES - a combined system with both sputtering and carbon coating. The deposition inserts can be swapped in seconds and the intelligent system logic automatically recognizes which insert is in place and displays the appropriate operating settings.
Each of the above can be fitted with a range of optional accessories (eg metal evaporation, carbon fibre coating, film thickness monitor). See options for details.
Rapid data entry
At the operational heart of KQ150T is a simple colour touch screen, which allows even the most inexperienced or occasional operators to rapidly enter and store their own process data. To further aid ease of use a number of typical sputtering and evaporation profiles are already stored.
|Glow Discharge Attachment||The primary application of glow discharge is as a technique for the surface modification, or 'wetting', of newly-evaporated transmission electron microscopy (TEM) carbon support films. |
Hydrophilisation Freshly-made TEM carbon support films tend to have hydrophobic surfaces which inhibits the spreading of suspensions of particles in negative staining solutions. However, after glow discharge treatment with air, the carbon film is made hydrophilic and negatively charged, thus allowing easy spreading of aqueous suspensions. With subsequent magnesium acetate treatment the surface is made hydrophilic and positively charged.
In addition to glow discharge treatment using air, other process gases may be used to modify surface properties. For example, methanol as a process gas results in the surface becoming hydrophobic and negatively charged. Such treatment can facilitate the optional absorption of selected biomolecules.
|Options and Accessories (including details of coating head inserts and specimen stages that are fitted as standard)||Coating head options: A range of interchangeable, plug-in style coating head inserts are available: |
Specimen stages: The Q150T has specimen stages to meet most requirements. All are easy-to-change, drop-in style (no screws) and are height adjustable (except for the rotary planetary stage):
Coating head options - a range of interchangeable, plug-in style coating head inserts are available:
|10034||Sputtering head insert suitable for oxidising and non-oxidising metals. Supplied with a 54mm Ø x 0.3mm thick chromium target as standard. For additional targets see Ordering Information section|
|10453||Additional sputter insert for quick metal change. Note: this is an entire sputtering assembly, individual targets can also be purchased|
|10033||Carbon rod evaporation head insert (for 3.05mm Ø rods)|
|10456||Carbon rod evaporation head insert (for 6.15mm Ø rods).|
|Note that Quorum recommends 3.05mm Ø rods as they offer greater process control and are more economical (less wastage)|
|10455||Carbon fibre evaporation head insert|
|10457||Metal evaporation and aperture cleaning head insert, including the ability to evaporate upwards or downwards (T E and T ES versions only). Supplied with a pack of ten tungsten filaments (A0754) and a molybdenum boat|
|10429||Extended height vacuum chamber (214mm high - the standard chamber is 127mm high). For increased source to sample distance and for coating large specimens|
|10422||Vacuum spigot allows more convenient connection of the vacuum hose to the rear of the KQ150T when bench depth is limited|
|10454||Film thickness monitor (FTM) attachment.|
|Consists of a built in chamber mounted quartz crystal oscillator (includes crystal). As sputtered or evaporated material is deposited onto the crystal, so its frequency of oscillation is modified. This 'modification' is used to measure and control the thickness of material deposited|
|FT553||Spare quartz crystals. Pack of three|
|10428||Full range vacuum gauge for low and high vacuum measurement (a low vacuum Pirani gauge is fitted as standard)|
|Specimen stages||The KQ150T has specimen stages to meet most requirements. All are easy-change, drop-in style (no screws) and are height adjustable (except 10360 rotary planetary stage):|
|10067||Rotation stage, 50mm Ø (supplied as standard). This stage only rotates - no tilt or height adjustment|
|10357||Rotate-tilt specimen stage with adjustable tilt (up to 90 degrees) and height (37mm-60mm).|
|Tilt angle can be pre-set. 50mm Ø specimen platform with six stub positions for 15mm or 6.5mm or 1/8" pin stubs. Stage rotation speed variable between 8 and 20rpm|
|10360||Variable angle "Rotacota" rotary planetary stage with 50mm Ø specimen platform. Has six stub positions for 15mm or 6.5mm or 1/8" pin stubs. Stage rotation speed variable between 8 and 20rpm|
|10458||Flat rotation specimen stage for 100mm / 4" wafers, includes gearbox for increased coverage. Stage rotation speed variable between 8 and 20rpm|
|10358||Rotating specimen stage for glass microscope slides (up to two x 75mm x 25mm slides). Stage rotation speed variable between 8 and 20rpm. Includes gear box to allow optional FTM to be used|
|Ordering Information||10027||KQ150T S High resolution turbomolecular pumped sputter coater, including a TK8845 54mm Ø x 0.3mm chromium target|
|10028||KQ150T E Turbomolecular pumped carbon evaporator suitable for TEM and SEM applications. Fitted with a carbon rod evaporation insert for 3.05mm Ø carbon rods. Supplied with carbon rods (C5422 3.05mm Ø x 300mm) and a carbon rod shaper (manual operation)|
|10029||KQ150T ES High-resolution turbomolecular pumped sputter coater, including a TK8845 57mm Ø x 0.3mm chromium target and high vacuum carbon rod evaporation coater for 3.05mm Ø carbon rods.|
|Note: coating inserts are interchangeable|
|Pumping||Rotary pump requirements (to be ordered separately):|
|50L/m two-stage rotary pump, with vacuum hose, coupling kit and oil mist filter. (order separately, see page V4 and K6)|
|Sputtering Targets||The KQ150T S and KQ150T ES are fitted as standard with a 0.3mm thick, 57mm chromium sputter target. For other optional targets - ask|
|Carbon supplies and accessories||Carbon fibre/cord, graphite rods and rod shapers on page V1|
|Other consumables and spare kits||Metal evaporation baskets on page V1|
|For spare parts - Inquire|
|Specifications||Instrument case||585mm W x 470mm D x 410mm H (total height with coating head open: 650mm)|
|Packed dimensions||725mm W x 660mm D x 680mm H (42kg)|
|Work chamber||Borosilicate glass 152mm Ø (inside) x 127mm H|
|Safety shield||Integral polyethylene terephthalate (PET) cylinder|
|Display||145mm 320 x 240 colour graphic TFT (Thin Film Transistor) display|
|User Interface||Intuitive full graphical interface with touch screen buttons, includes features such as a log of the last ten coatings carried out and reminders for when maintenance is due|
|Sputtering target||Disc style 57mm Ø. A 0.3mm thick chromium target is fitted as standard. KQ150T S and T ES versions only|
|Specimen stage||60mm Ø rotating stage. Rotation speed 8-20 rpm|
|Vacuum||Turbomolecular pump||Internally mounted 70L/s air-cooled turbomolecular pump|
|Rotary pump||50L/s two-stage rotary pump, with vacuum hose, coupling kit and oil mist filter. (order separately, see page V4 and K6)|
|Vacuum measurement||Pirani gauge fitted as standard. A full range gauge (10428) is available as an option|
|Typical ultimate vacuum||5 x 10-5mbar in a clean system after pre pumping with dry nitrogen gas|
|Sputter vacuum range||Between 5 x 10-3 and 5 x 10-1mbar|
|Processes||Sputtering||0-150mA to a pre-determined thickness (with optional FTM) or by the built-in timer. The maximum sputtering time is 60 minutes (without "breaking" vacuum and with built in rest periods)|
|Carbon evaporation||A robust, ripple free D.C. power supply featuring pulse evaporation ensures reproducible carbon evaporation from rod or fibre sources. Current pulse: 1-90 Amps|
|Metal evaporation & aperture cleaning insert (option)||For thermal evaporation of metals from filaments or boats. For cleaning SEM or TEM apertures a standard molybdenum boat can be fitted. The metal evaporation head is set up for downwards evaporation, but upward evaporation can be achieved by fitting two terminal extensions (supplied). Evaporation time: up to four minutes|
|Services and other information||Gases||Argon sputtering process gas, 99.999% (T S and T ES versions). Nitrogen venting gas (optional) Electrical supply 90-250V ~ 50/60 Hz 1400 VA including RV3 rotary pump power. 110/240V voltage selectable|
|Power factor correction||Complies with the current legislation (CE Certification) and ensures efficient use of power which means reduced running costs|
|Spares||For spare parts - Inquire|
For information on the KQ150T, and the sputter and carbon coating techniques, visit the Preparation Techniques and Advantages page.
To view sputter and carbon coating images, visit the Image Gallery.